Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Response to Omnivore's Dilemma

Response to Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
It wasn’t until I finished Omnivore’s Dilemma that I realized how much I appreciate this book and enjoyed it. And feel like everyone in the United States should read it. It is arguable that food and eating are the sole things that can unite people from all over the world, everyone has to eat! Therefore, everyone can relate, can find common ground in food, can realize that it is necessary for survival. However, Pollan’s book sheds light upon the fact that no one pays attention to where their food comes from. I usually don’t question my food (whether served on a convenient plate at the dining hall or neatly packaged at the grocery store), but now, I realize how absurd this ignorance acceptance is. Why don’t I pause to think about the source of my food?? The agricultural and food industries in the United States see my ignorance as a triumph; in fact, their entire businesses depend on the fact that I do not question.
Pollan’s willingness to literally chase his food down to its source was inspiring and made me truly think about the origins of my food. The stark contrast of his fast food meal and the hunter/gatherer one demonstrate the thorough nature of Pollan’s quest.
I now have a much better understanding of the food system in the US and I really want to try to buy locally grown food whenever possible. One of my long term goals for my life is to be more conscious of the origins of my food and the processes/ingredients used to make it.
I would recommend this book to everyone and I’ve been sharing it with my family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment